Tuesday, May 24, 2011

Aeta Tribal Village- A Photographic Tour- Subic Bay- Luzon Island, Philippines; Photographs by Joseph S. Palmer


If there is one thing you should definitely not miss in Subic Bay Freeport, it is the nature tour at the Pamulaklakin Trail. I took the tour. Several days later I visited the Aeta Tribal Village.


The trail is situated along the road to the Binictican housing complex. It is a little obscure and there is a big chance you would miss it on your first pass if you are not paying attention. Once in, you might not find the compound distinct from any park or place.
What is special is the tour, or more appropriately the lesson that the Aeta guide will give you.
An extended family is seen here waiting for their morning ride to take  them to a market to sell their crafts .


A child waiting outside the complex to accompany her mother and extended family, who go daily  to a local super market  to sell their crafts.Wild honey is one of their special items.



When I began my trek toward the tribal village, I wondered what type of clothes would be worn there.
.



Today most Aeta who have been in contact with lowlanders have adopted the T-shirts, pants and rubber sandals .



Example of  a tree growing in the jungle.


Using an Aeta guide we walked almost two hours through the jungle and then on to red dirt road.
Along the trail where two boys collecting nuts to use to invent and play games.



The first dwelling seen on the trail was this thatched roof  house.


Children stop at a family store just to look and possibly day dream about something to eat.



Another dwelling along the trail.


A young girl takes a break from helping her family.



Then from no where cyclists peddled down the trail.
Cycling is a big sport in the Philippines.
I'm assuming that these cyclists were peddling through the village and not residents of the village.


In the Aeta village (pronounced eye-ta) electricity is available but not every family can afford it.  


It is mid morning and the sun is heating up the village..
Two boy are seen playing an electronic game.


In the evenings, one can hear karaoke music played for entertainment. Local beer is also sold.


Children in every culture invent games to play.
Here they are playing with a wooden pole.


Smaller children copy their older brothers and sisters.


The Aeta  village has a population of  400 with 200 dwellings.
A couple stand in the doorway proudly hold their twins. 


If seeing cyclists in the village was a surprise for me, I wondered what was happening here.
My guide did not follow me in into the open air building.
I introduced myself. the woman in the grey shirt .She returned my greeting describing herself  was a Avon Sales Representative.


A young woman waits outside her mother-in-law's store.


The mother-in-law greeted me and I ask her if I may take her photograph?


Brushing back her hair she offered a faint smile.

 I came across a church.
I asked the guide what religion he practiced. He said most of the residents are
 catholic.
As I walked along I wondered where the cemetery was located.


One means of transportation in and out of the village is  a pedicab.


Another mode of transportation is oxen.
The ox is a valuable beast used for  work. 


Here the ox is dragging  material to construct a dwelling.


One source of water in the village is a stream which flows down from distant mountains.


The village school offers education to children.


A woman with her infant on her back walks toward the village center.


My guide holding his child, wife to his right with their children.


A young girl outside of the Pamulaklakin entrance.


A young Aeta boy waits for a ride to take him and his family to a market where their crafts will be sold.


A mother also waits for her ride to the city market.


A traditional dressed tribal member wishes you well.









3 comments:

  1. I really like all the photos. They tell a story about a different way of life. I just wish they were a little bigger so I could get a closer look. I hope that if you do another show at the Ellsworth Library then you will put these in there. I love the one of the two boys playing on the phone and the young woman waiting outside the store!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you for posting! I really wanted to go to the village after we were so intrigued with the nature trail and demonstration, but we weren't able to make the trek. I love the photos and can't wait to see more!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi,

    Thanks for the excellent information you have posted on the Pamulaklakin trail

    I used it as a guide during my recent trek in Subic bay - Pamulaklakin forest.

    I liked your blog so much - I have put a link to it, under the "further reading" category. Just see the bottom of the blog page.

    I have posted photos and my trip report here -

    http://expattraveller.blogspot.com/2012/11/pamulaklakin.html

    Do go through it, and let me know how you find it.

    You can see photos and details of my travels around the Philippines here - http://expattraveller.blogspot.com

    regards
    David

    ReplyDelete